Blood and Magic

Reviews of classig computer games
PanzerGeneral

Blood and Magic

Post by PanzerGeneral »

This game is a lesson and a warning to me that a reviewer should not rely on the first impression of a few hours of play, but fight with the program until he likes it (joke).

Blood and Magic is a strategic fantasy game set in real time. It was billed as Command & Conquer in a fantasy world (AD&D Forgotten Realms and so on). I will explain right away that it has little to do with C&C or Warcraft games. The main difference is that we do not build a base with a complicated structure, but we only have two buildings at our disposal: the golem factory and the barracks, where golems turn into fantastic creatures we need to fight. If we want to end the game, we have to deal with five lands, and the campaign of each of them is divided into several stages of increasing difficulty. Further battles will be fought in various settings: in archipelagos connected by islets by bridges, in forest and mountain areas, in the land of lava, and even in palace interiors.

ImageImage

The mission's goal is not always to eliminate all enemy units. Sometimes you have to collect certain artifacts or destroy a specific building. Blood and Magic is a game that has one word for it: it's weird. The habits from other real-time strategy games are of course useful, because the tactics of fighting and winning are often similar, but it certainly cannot be called a clone of Warcraft or C&C. The authors developed an original idea and implemented it quite well. Of course, you can have some reservations: campaigns consist of too few stages, we have few units at our disposal (although it must be admitted that they are diverse and sometimes endowed with unique abilities), the artists probably woke up from several years of lethargy, because their proposals could be more interesting. On the other hand, an undoubted advantage is the perfectly realized tutorial, which "by the hand" guides us through all the problems of the game. I have doubts whether to recommend B&M to you, because it is a strange game, but I spent three long evenings myself and it was pretty good.

PC
My rate: 7/10