DOS and NDOS disks

All Amiga computers
Doggeboy0A

DOS and NDOS disks

Post by Doggeboy0A »

I am new on the forum, I will introduce myself :) As a kid, I had A600 with 1MB of RAM. I am a happy owner of Amiga A500 recently.

My question is this:
Is a DOS floppy and a non-DOS floppy actually different? I understand the differences, non-DOS floppy disks, for example, I will not open in Workbench or XCopy. But I don't quite understand. Can someone explain to me? :)
I'm good doggee
NamelessOne

DOS and NDOS disks

Post by NamelessOne »

DOS is formatted with a specific filesystem, so you have system access to its files, you can add and remove them.

The NDOS floppy does not have this, the developer puts his code in a bootblock and using trackdisk.device directly reads the relevant parts of the floppy and does whatever he wants with the data ...

Does it make any sense? currently not :)

ps: it can be compared like this
DOS floppy disk - wardrobe with shelves and drawers - simple, quick and convenient access
NDOS floppy disk - a box the size of this wardrobe, but everything is in a pile (which may even give a little more space in the same space, because the shelves and drawers themselves also take up something) - difficult access, no organization, and to take something out you have to know exactly where you put it (and how much space does it take ...)
I have no name and never will have.
BigAndSmallHills

DOS and NDOS disks

Post by BigAndSmallHills »

Thanks for the clarification: D
I understand :)
Subject to be closed :)
Run for the hills, run for you life.
Wariorr

DOS and NDOS disks

Post by Wariorr »

This wardrobe is my and my baby's wardrobe a combination of dos and ndos - there are shelves, but to find something .....
I'm a great warrior of old lore.
SanderoCaro

DOS and NDOS disks

Post by SanderoCaro »

This is a nice comparison. May be added that the file systems have evolved. This one of the oldest amiga (OFS) is so bad that if you put something in and close the drawer too quickly, the whole wardrobe can fall apart.
Sandero is good car :!:
Oldgirls

DOS and NDOS disks

Post by Oldgirls »

Well, because if you put something in half and close the wardrobe ... PCs also had a problem with that. Maybe even today? If so "with a kick" several times in a row to turn off the computer, who knows
WE all are OLD.
MovieDirector@

DOS and NDOS disks

Post by MovieDirector@ »

I would also add that all prosecution offices in the world should be obliged to ruthlessly prosecute software developers on NDOS floppy disks. And judgments should not be reviewed or canceled.
I'm gonna direct a movie someday...
KillJoy

DOS and NDOS disks

Post by KillJoy »

You can also buy NOS floppy disks: D
i'm gonna kill all you joy.