SFS and PFS

All Amiga computers
BigAndSmallHills

SFS and PFS

Post by BigAndSmallHills »

Yes, the problems were with good recovery programs. That's why I liked PFS so much. There were a lot of recovery programs on FFS - probably because it was dying like a fly. I have never had PFS, so I did not care whether there are 2 or 10 such programs, or maybe not one. :)
Run for the hills, run for you life.
Smallbug

SFS and PFS

Post by Smallbug »

Mostly yes. ^^

And is there any difference between PFS with pfs3-aio from eg PFS3-020? In general, in the readme for PFS3 v5.3 (and if v5.3, why is it listed as v8.15?) There is no explanation of how they differ from each other: "PFS3", "PFS3-020", "PFS3-020ds", " PFS3-040 "," PFS3-040ds "," PFS3-060 "," PFS3-060ds ". And now you advise me "PFS3-aio". Are the differences structural or are they versions dedicated only to different processors? For this there are also muPFS, also in the above variants. Is this some PFS3 modification? Gugiel claims a completely different filesystem (but if different, why is it bundled with "PFS3 v5.3")? It is confusing.
I'm just a small bug in grass.
Donotreadtis

SFS and PFS

Post by Donotreadtis »

FFS is, as already mentioned, problems with validation, slow transfer (you can save yourself with buffers) and what irritated me the most was the problems with recovering deleted files. Before I knew what and how, some data was gone. However, I have never had problems with badblocks, and the old Amiga disk, many years later I connected it to a PC and copied my old files without any problems.

I installed SFS because it was generally recommended as better than FFS, and in fact it is. The above disadvantages of FFS do not apply to SFS, e.g. recovering accidentally deleted files is child's play, and you don't need any software for that. Everything would be nice if not that all the two drives I had in SFS failed. Therefore, I cannot recommend this file system with a clear conscience.

I never used PFS because in those days it was a commercial package to be registered with AIRI.
Africa, ohh my Africa...
Doggeboy0A

SFS and PFS

Post by Doggeboy0A »

I have been using FFS from scratch on the Amiga 1200 - with Seagate 3.5 "hard drives for over 20 years with no problems or data loss whatsoever.

P.S. You can recover deleted files using DiskSalv2.
I'm good doggee
Iwa

SFS and PFS

Post by Iwa »

> P.S. You can recover deleted files with DiskSalv 2.
This is my little place of internet.
Laudguy

SFS and PFS

Post by Laudguy »

Sometimes even after a few hours ...
Just chillin all day and night
SummerFLower

SFS and PFS

Post by SummerFLower »

PFS - definitely the fastest (but that's my subjective opinion). FFS - well, cool times, cool story. I haven't used SFS much, except for MorphOS, where it just works (well, everything works there), so I don't comment.
i just strartedt to bloon this summer.
TerraNova

SFS and PFS

Post by TerraNova »

SFS is quite popular. It seems the new versions are downward compatible. If you ever want to use UAE like AmigaOS 4.1 FE, partitions formatted with 3.x should probably work. I remember that 17 years ago, when I bought the first Amiga One XE, I just moved the Amiga 1200 disk formatted for AmigaOS 3.9. It went from the shot.
I'm settling new lands
Openmind

SFS and PFS

Post by Openmind »

How do I format a drive to PFS? Only by winuae? I have floppy disks
From aos 3.1.4, so I can fire from the station.
But what should I fire afterwards?
nothing goes here for now
KillJoy

SFS and PFS

Post by KillJoy »

I do not think so. After all, it's a filesystem from the Amiga 68K era, to be used only on them and installed via official (or not) tools.

I only have WinUAE, but I do it from the emulated environment, not the emulator GUI, to avoid potential problems due to a hypothetically incorrect implementation. So just like on a real Amiga.

So throw the libraries (?) Into "<system partition label>: L" and create the mappings in HDToolbox (including the new file system, to which you will have to provide the path and markings). After that, the reboot and partitions will appear as "NDOS". In the case of SFS, you can use SFSformat, in the case of PFS formatting from the Workbench (this is probably what DosType is for to detect the partition type itself, I'm guessing because I have only been playing with it for less than a week). Perhaps there are other ways. I rely on the "PFS3 v5.3" package (not "pfs3-aio") and I did it manually because the installer wanted Workbench floppy disks from me, which unfortunately he did not see for some reason and did not let go further (I think he needs rw but in the emulator I did not block writing to them).
i'm gonna kill all you joy.