PCW 8256 display problem

CPC and PCW technology
Donotreadtis

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by Donotreadtis »

There are probably some adapters, but I would try to plug a wide 26 pin connector into this narrow tape, only diagonally, then the spacing between the pins should match. Although you need to make sure that the ground pins will not touch adjacent pins. If it does not fit, cut the narrow tape diagonally and cut each line from the adjacent one to about 1 cm, and painstakingly push the line over the line one by one. :)

The width of the hole for the 3 "drive is a bit wider than the width of the 3.5" floppy disk, just to somehow fit the holes for the screws inside. Because the last thing I would try is to widen the drive hole.
Africa, ohh my Africa...
alvin

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by alvin »

Laptop drives have a different pinout, although the same number of 26 pins as 3 "drives, because there is still power supply on the tape.
Kilord

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by Kilord »

The adapter works, the programs are loading, so the equipment is operational. It is a version with 256kB RAM, there are sockets for an additional 256kB.
It even works great, although it would be appropriate to connect 2 gotekas, because this is how you need to constantly fan with images. I have loaded SymbOS and I am impressed :)
Thank you for all your help.

And I would like to add that this computer is on Olx for PLN 400, so if anyone was interested, I probably recommend it (the announcement is not mine, I only played with this equipment for a while). I do not know if the price is attractive, I have no comparison, at least it looks functional, not buried. The housing requires a solid cleaning, there are also some traces on it, probably from the cable (such melting as occurs during long contact of rubber with plastic). Although I don't have any Amstrad / Schneider, I don't buy it. Too big for me - I have no place for sights with so much glass. I would prefer CPC464
I'm from Poland in Euro.
Zenobi

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by Zenobi »

My congratulations :)

PCW is a nice piece of equipment, only in our country it was not very popular and it is a pity that there is no sound in it, but what can you expect from a typewriter?
KillJoy

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by KillJoy »

Well, how is not there? The loudspeaker is inside. She squeaks sometimes;)
i'm gonna kill all you joy.
Catladyiscrazy

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by Catladyiscrazy »

Yeah, it's the only thing he can do in fact; D
Nothing here for now...
ThatGuy02

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by ThatGuy02 »

Did anyone upgrade RAM to 512kB? In this board there are Fujitsu MB81257-15 chips (8 pcs) and there are 8 free sockets for DIP-16 chips. From what I see below PLN 40, you can buy 10 MB81256-12. Will it work together?
BigAndSmallHills

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by BigAndSmallHills »

Should, these DRAMs can be used interchangeably.
Run for the hills, run for you life.
TerraNova

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by TerraNova »

I did an upgrade in my PCW, put 3rd party RAM and different access time and it works too;)
It is important that each bank has the same memories.
I'm settling new lands