PCW 8256 display problem

CPC and PCW technology
Wariorr

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by Wariorr »

PCW 8256 should greet me with some text / message / greeting after switching on, does it immediately try to read something from the station and display something after booting? Unfortunately, I am green in the Amstrad / Schneider topic, and the copy I am currently playing with only displays a green image and turns the station. Tell me what I can check in it. The voltage (5V) reaches the board.
I'm a great warrior of old lore.
ThisGuy01

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by ThisGuy01 »

From what I remember, it will be (no image) if there is no system floppy or bootable game for this computer.
I'm from Poland
Openmind

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by Openmind »

Yes, exactly. As soon as the computer starts loading anything from the floppy disk, horizontal stripes appear on the screen.
nothing goes here for now
Yellohello

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by Yellohello »

Thanks, so there's a chance it works. And someone will suggest how to make an adapter from this 26-wire to 34-wire tape so that I can connect the Gotek? I guess this will be easier than finding a 3 "floppy with the system ...
Hello there all.
Oldlegends

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by Oldlegends »

I think I've recently seen 3 "floppy disks running on our auction site.;)
Legend of old are still alive.
Yavin

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by Yavin »

For PCW, really? Rarity. Usually they go to CPC. And they cannot be used interchangeably.
Valdor

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by Valdor »

PCW is a very ungrateful beast. Each has its own format and the 8256 floppy disks may not work on the 9512. There are differences between the number of heads in the drive and the way the sectors are distributed on the disk (topology). What's more, even if the PCW had a second drive, the floppy disks stored in the second drive may not work in the drive installed as standard with the machine.

Gotek often fixes most of these types of problems, but if your system won't start, don't assume there's something wrong with the floppy disk or drive.

PS. CPC6128 with Parados and dual head drive is able to mount a boot disk for most, if not all, PCW.
From Experience: I have failed to burn Amstrad floppy disks using CPCDiskXP on a newer than Windows XP computer.
PanzerGeneral

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by PanzerGeneral »

You're right, the ones on Allegro were now for CPC, but the price of PLN 150 is killing, some time ago I also saw something for PVC.
BTW, I also found there other 2 Maxwell 3 ". For PLN 20 I have one and I have just bought them because I have a deficit recently;)

@maciekb, I also have a PVC system in my archeo, if you send a clean one, I can record it for you.
NamelessOne

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by NamelessOne »

Thanks, but I don't have any 3 "floppy disk. The computer is not mine, so I don't want to invest in it either, so I'll keep looking for a Goteka adapter schematic.
I have no name and never will have.
Iknownothingatall

PCW 8256 display problem

Post by Iknownothingatall »

The station is the same as in CPC, but remember that 3 "stations have the reverse power supply on the 4-pin connector?
Better not to put the power cable for CPW / CPC stations into the 3.5 "or Goteka drive because it will get hot if it gets 12V instead of 5V
i know that i know nothing at all.