Blue Ice

Reviews of classig computer games
Valdor

Blue Ice

Post by Valdor »

After king of Icia died, the entire kingdom held its breath as things unfolded. The heir to the throne was underage and could not legally claim the crown. Everyone wondered how the fate of the state would turn out. The boy will have to do everything to prevent anarchy. His only asset is the Ice Heart, a jewel of royal origins. He will have to travel the length and breadth of the frozen wastes in search of items and people who can help him.

Blue Ice is an adventure game by Psygnosis. Why the game was classified as an adventure game I hardly can find out. Rather, it is a series of logic puzzles. On the stationary boards you have to perform some actions (or activities), thanks to which you can move further (i.e. to the next board). It sounds complicated, so let me give you an example. You see the world through the eyes of a hero. The first board shows a surreal picture, you notice two clocks. You are looking for a stylized question mark in the image, when you click on it, you get a hint. From the hint you learn (indirectly, of course) that you need to set both clocks to midnight. Once you do that, the gate will open and you can go on. Over and over again.

ImageImage

All boards are completely abstract and surreal. It is similar with puzzles. Scenery in pastel colors, in high definition. Not to say ugly, but it gives a bizarre impression, as if a bit too sterile, too angular. And of course, completely unreal. The depicted images look more like a drunk artist's dream than consciously drawn charts. Of course, this creates a certain specific atmosphere that somehow didn't appeal to me. Honestly, I don't like games that are very livid. And the Blue Ice is perhaps the weirdest I've ever seen. I suppose that people who appreciate originality may like it. The controls are not too complicated. The cursor in three forms performs the basic functions: viewing, using and handling control panels. Pressing the right key allows you to change the cursor function. Simple as a flail diagram. There are constant elements repeated on each board, such as a question mark, thanks to which we obtain tips and hints, and two parchments. The first of them presents subsequent events (so it is a kind of diary), the second presents details of the kingdom's life (its laws and customs). So slowly the image of the whole land and its inhabitants is emerging. This game is just plain weird.

PC
My rate: 4/10