Stars!

Reviews of classig computer games
PanzerGeneral

Stars!

Post by PanzerGeneral »

In today's computer game business it is normal situation when you announce production nof ew title some years ahead, later you delay it to make clients more demand it. But back in past it was not the case - and this title, Stars!, is good example. It's developer, Empire Interactive, never actually announced it. Unusual case, but game itself is unusual. It was unusual too back in 1997. In contrast to all other games published that year at first glance Stars! is unplayable: no sound, graphics is like addressbook mixed with Statistica (so many numbers and charts!). It looks like total disaster...

Ok, sure: if you expect from game 3D graphics, realistic landscapes, advanced light effects - you will be for sure disappointed by Stars!. But everyone else who, as I suppose, are majority of old games fans, will find here very good competitor to Master of Orion 2. But let's start from the begining. As ruler of one of race in galaxy you have to explore, conquer and rule whole universe. There is no exact and only path to victory, it all depends on player's choose. You can conquer one part of galaxy, you can achieve advenced level of development, you can collect game points end so on. Many ways to victory and many goals. This game can be played again and again for long time!

But what is all about? Mostly about conquering and building colonies on more and more planets. It not so easy, planets may vary one from each other. They have different gravities, temperatures, radiation... Some of them have lot of supplies to mine, that allow you to do reasearch in one of 6 technology areas and that allow you to build bigger, better and more bad ass space ships. Also with better technology you can do terraforming - you can change planet to be better for inhabitants. And, last but not least, thare are wars with other races in the galaxy, so military part is also here.

Is it all? Well, galaxy is bigger than in Master of Orion 2, AI of the opponents is also very good, you can create your own, new race setting up it's advantages and disadvantages, you can design new ships, you can tweak and set up conditions that are on planets.... Only thing that I have write as complain it lack if advanced diplomacy. But in general, game is great. Of course, it is very complicated game so not for everyone. But if you like 4X games, you gonna spend with Stars! nice time.

My rate: 8/10.