DRAM and SRAM testing

General discussion for retro computing
Oldlegends

DRAM and SRAM testing

Post by Oldlegends »

Gentlemen - please take a look at the website https://8bit-museum.de/sonstiges/hardwa ... hertester/ / I recommend switching the language;). You will find a damn cool piece of equipment there - a tester for SRAM / DRAM memory (including 4116/4164/4464), E / P / ROM chips and 74xx family chips.
I recommend that you read the documentation and sample films - they make an impression :)
I wrote to the author - the price of the board (main and power supply 5V / -5V / 12V) in the 7 and 8 versions is 25 Euro, the board in the 3 - 10 Euro version. A monitored shipment is 15 Euro.
I must say that I am very impressed with the possibilities of this brick
Legend of old are still alive.
Donotreadtis

DRAM and SRAM testing

Post by Donotreadtis »

Yesterday Google suggested a similar project: http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?p=15035
Africa, ohh my Africa...
Computeoguy

DRAM and SRAM testing

Post by Computeoguy »

I watched it - but it has orders of magnitude fewer possibilities (e.g. it focuses on 4164) :)
I ordered 2 pieces - as soon as they come and run, I will let you know what possibilities it has in practice. For me, the most important thing is that you can "test" virtually all the dice from the 8-bit company (I omit the dedicated circuits).
I't does not compute....
Iwa

DRAM and SRAM testing

Post by Iwa »

The best DRAM tester is a working computer board.
The more so that not every type of memory works in a specific computer, although it may be technically functional.
Some systems can also be tested in programmers as someone already has.
This is my little place of internet.
Laudguy

DRAM and SRAM testing

Post by Laudguy »

That's right, you beat me :) None of these testers are likely to check "fast page mode", nor can they modify RAS / CAS timings. Not to mention the different DRAM refresh modes as well as checking the length of the refresh address (7/8 bit).
Unfortunately - the best tester is the computer board in which the cubes are to work.
But until the first negative selection, such a tester should be OK. So - if it doesn't work in the tester, it's a dead body and that's it.
Just chillin all day and night
TerraNova

DRAM and SRAM testing

Post by TerraNova »

Two Notes:
a) for verification in a functional computer board, it is necessary to ... a functional computer board :)
b) in most cases, a basic memory test is enough for me (i.e. the bone has a chance to work or the attempts are doomed to failure in advance) :)
For me - for my needs - it is simply a dream device
I'm settling new lands
Oldgirls

DRAM and SRAM testing

Post by Oldgirls »

I have just tested dynamic memories in several programmers, including HILO-ALL07 or Xeltek-SP2, and unfortunately the test results are very unique, because some memories were tested on one programmer and not on another, or vice versa;)
The tests provide only basic information and it is not possible to change the test types or change their parameters.
There are probably programmers that have more advanced DRAM testing, but in those I have dealt with, they are only additional and not fully refined features.
With static memories, I did not observe any major problems in programmers.
A working board (and not necessarily the ZX Spectrum) was just verifying the efficiency and usefulness of the memory data, but such a board is not always available.
WE all are OLD.
Catladyiscrazy

DRAM and SRAM testing

Post by Catladyiscrazy »

The tester also needs to be found, so I prefer to find a working CD.
On the other hand, the tester can be useful to check if the memory is working at all, especially since a defective DRAM can kill something else on the board.
Only the power supply is enough for this.
Nothing here for now...
Yellohello

DRAM and SRAM testing

Post by Yellohello »

Not every working board has DRAM memory in sockets;)
And not everyone who provides you with a working board for testing agrees to solder anything in it.
Hello there all.
Hover

DRAM and SRAM testing

Post by Hover »

The truth is, it's worth having a tester, multimeter, and knowledge and experience.
Everything is useful to a greater or lesser extent.